Language and thinking

At Facebook, I shared the following ‘what’s on my mind’:

I am thinking much more about English language, and its implications for how well we can think, and whether another language would help me think better …

That spawned 15 comments between myself and two others, an email offline, and a wall post from one of the two participants, to the effect that

I have heard of the idea that once you start dreaming in a new language then you are on the way to becoming fluent.

which, in turn, registered 6 comments.

My email offliner shared the following link  http://bit.ly/4BvmCS which extended our conversation to  more public and research-based substance.

In summary, my pondering about language and thinking, and multilingual capacities has some merit.

Along the way, I shared some details from Dispute Resolution studies, about language and tonal patterns, and national differences, and the potential for misunderstanding, in multicultural contexts, from differences in tone, and assumptions about what certain registers might imply.  Arthur Koestler‘s Act of Creation, 1964, got an honourable mention, and I have since been reminded that another of the indicators of proficiency in a second language is when you understand the jokes, and better still when you can repeat the jokes, because you have attended to the words that carry the joke.

The conversation then shifted to emotional thinking/intelligence, and, in part, because I referred to Gardner’s multiple intelligences, and I responded with some of the material I have worked on here, previously.

One thought on “Language and thinking

1. Pingback: Metaphor and meta-process – what’s a meta-4? | designing serendipity?